K9 Nose Work® NW2 Trial
4 elements – interiors (2), exterior, vehicles and containers
Birch & Anise only
Trial Location: Peregian Beach, QLD
Trial Date: 16 May 2021
Trial Host: Ultimate K9
Certifying Official: Becky Thomas CNWI
Judges: Trinny Teigan CNWI & Micheal Sikalas CNWI
Entry Cost: $110 inc GST per dog and handler team (Payment via Paypal to be made at time of registration)
One dog per household
Must have passed offical ACSW Birch & Anise ORT’s
This event will be run according to QLD government health department Covid 19 requirements and may be cancelled at any time subject to changes with Covid 19 in QLD (if cancelled full refunds will be issued).
- The handler of the dogs must have a current ACSW membership.
- The dog must be registered with ACSW (see acsw.com.au for more details)
- The dog must have passed an ACSW ORT (birch) and ACSW ORT (anise) to be eligible to enter this trial
- Trial entries will close 9 May 2021 at 8 pm – limit of 30 dogs – if more than 30 entries are received then there will be a ballot
- ACSW reserves the right to cancel a trial if minimum entry numbers are not met
- Any entries that contain incorrect or misleading information may result in disqualification from the trial
- The venue location will be emailed to all successful applicants around 1 week prior to the trial
- Plan to arrive at the trial location at 8 am to register – a walk through will be conducted at 8 30 am.
- Please bring membership cards and the dogs scorebook to the trial
- No Spectators are permitted in the search areas during the trial except ACSW & Ultimate K9 officials, adults accompanying a minor, CNWI-in-training and judges in training
- Please remember that ACSW events welcomes dogs of all description and temperaments. We rely on participants to respect the needs of all other dogs on the ground. As such, any dog, whether competing or not, will not be permitted to roam or socialize with any other dogs in the vicinity of the trial grounds. Exhibitors are responsible for the comfort and behavior of their dogs.
- Yellow ribbons and cones designate areas reserved for reactive dogs for parking and peeing
- All dogs must be on a leash at all times when not being tested.
- Dogs and handlers must stay in designated areas to avoid contaminating testing space, interrupting a test, or from viewing part of the testing.
- The dog’s owner is responsible for having their dog ready when it is to be judged. Be prepared to keep your dog in your car or in a crate by your car when not being tested. You are responsible for picking up after your dog
- Females in season – please contact your trial host if this becomes a possibility
Description of Trial
To successfully gain a NW2 title, a dog must identify the location of the target odours and the handler must correctly call an “alert” within a set time period for each element and call finish at the end of the element– this must be done for ALL FOUR ELEMENTS (ie interiors (2), exterior, vehicles and containers) at the same trial. Requires one qualifying trial of 100 points score with no more than 3 faults.
Each search area may contain Birch and/or Anise, two of the same odour (Birch or Anise), or a combination odour of Anise/Birch. Number of hides will be stated on all elements. This information will be communicated to the handlers at the briefing. There will be one, two or three hides in each search area. In each area the time will stop and the search will end when the handler calls ‘Finish’. The handler should not say ‘Finish’ until all the hides in an area have been located and called (‘Alert’). In the event the handler has correctly located all the hides and has not said ‘Finish’, the handler will still pass the element, but will be given the full time allotted to the search.
Containers – on lead – at least one distractor (toy or food) will be used
Interiors – CO designates on or off lead – 2 search areas
Exterior – on lead unless area secure (CO determines)
Vehicles – on lead – up to 4 vehicles – may be multiple odours on vehicles
For more information please refer to the ACSW Rulebook
All competitors/handlers and spectators are expected to follow the rules of the ACSW and demonstrate good sportsmanship. This includes making sure the hide placements are unknown to the handler prior to testing and kept secret from other competitors. Please do not discuss hide placement or any details of a dog’s performance that may provide information or clues to other handlers or may be overheard.
The Bravo award is given at the NW2 level to the most outstanding rescue dog that demonstrates extraordinary ability and spirit in nose work. A rescue dog may be defined as a dog that was not purchased from a breeder, private party or store. The dog may have been adopted from a shelter, rescued from the street, fostered with a rescue organization, etc. The five highest scoring rescue dogs will be considered for the Bravo Award when available. A dog may only receive this award one time. Rescue designation is taken from your ACSW dog registration information.
ACSW Score Book:
Remember to bring your dogs ACSW Scorebook to have your trial results recorded. If you bring your scorebook it is your responsibility to pick it up before leaving the trial site. It is not the responsibility of the host or ACSW to return scorebooks or score sheets that are left behind or to mail ribbons that are not picked up.
Video Recording and Photography:
Videos and photos of the competition or competition areas are not allowed at this time, except by ACSW approved photographers/videographers. No portion of any event may be videotaped or photographed for commercial or other purposes without written authorization from ACSW. All photographs, video broadcast, and telecast rights for ACSW events are the exclusive property of ACSW.
As a condition of your entry, you agree to allow ACSW, or their agents, to video you and your dog, during the entirety of the trial. These videos are the property of ACSW. All competitors, through entry at any ACSW event, waive any and all rights relative to video broadcast or photography of such event.
Volunteers register here
NW2 Trial 16 May 2021
8:00 am - 5:00 pm