Each title is based on a perfect score of 100 points and no more than 3 faults. The maximum time for each element, as determined by the specific competition, must not be exceeded.
NW3 (Nose Work 3) Requires one qualifying trial of 100 points score and no more than 3 faults. All hides must be located, and all calls must be made.
NW3 Requirements & Parameters:
* Proficient in three odours: (Birch, Anise, Clove); must have ORT on file with ACSW™. All odours #1, Birch, and #2, Anise, and #3, Clove, will be included for this title.
* Number of hides will not be stated on all of the elements. There may be one, two or three hides in the Container search, Vehicle or Exterior. On the Interior, there may be zero, one, two or three hides in each interior area, but only one interior area has the possibility of zero hides (also known as the blank area). Birch, anise, clove, or any combination of the three odours may be used in each element.
* In each area the handler must locate all hides and call ‘Finish’ before the time is out. In the case handlers encounter a blank area, they must call ‘Clear’ (Note: If a handler calls ‘Finish’ instead of ‘Clear’ in a blank area, the call is still valid) before the time stops to achieve the points for that area. Warnings on remaining time may be issued by the time keeper. If at any time a handler makes an incorrect call (‘Alert’, ‘Clear’, or ‘Finish’), they will not be given the opportunity to continue searching for additional hides in that element. NOTE: In the interior search, the competitor will not be allowed to continue searching the current interior search area, but they will be allowed to move on to any remaining interior search areas). They will keep the points for hides correctly located in that element prior to the incorrect call. The time awarded will be the time limit for that element or interior search area.
* Elements specifications:
+ Typically on leash
+ There may be multiple distractors (i.e. food, toy, etc). Distractors will be within the containers used for the container search.
+ Odor #3, Clove, will be used, but odors #1 and #2 (Birch and Anise) may also be used.
+ Any type of containers may be used (different types of boxes, luggage, etc). The spacing or height of the containers may vary.
+ Please see “Trial Elements” in the rule book for more detail on container search areas
Interior Building Search: May be on or off leash as designated by the certifying official
+ Three interior areas. Each search area may contain odour #1 (birch), odour #2 (anise) and/or odour #3 (clove), or a combo odour, as well as possible distractors. One of the interior areas may be a blank area.
+ Blank Areas: Handlers may encounter a room or area that is blank (not containing any odour). Handlers must in this case declare an area ‘clear.’
+ Please see “Trial Elements” in the rule book for more detail on interior search areas
Exterior Area Search: (on leash; may be off leash option)
+ If an off leash option is available, it is up to the competitor to determine if the area is secure and the situation is appropriate for their particular dog to be off leash.
+ Please see “Trial Elements” in the rule book for more detail on exterior search areas
+ On leash
+ Up to five vehicles
+ There may be multiple odours on vehicles and a variety of vehicles may be included.
+ Please see “Trial Elements” in the rule book for more detail on vehicle search areas
* Alerts: Handler must call ’Alert’ when the dog has communicated that he has found a hide. The judge however will be looking for a change in behaviour in the dog. The judge may opt to consider the dog’s final response behaviour when considering a team for the ‘Pronounced’ designation.
*The NW3 score will be calculated by the number of calls that must be made. Each search will require the handler to state: ‘alert,’ and ‘finish’ or ‘clear’ in the case of the blank area. The dog must locate every hide and the handler must make every call to receive the full number of points.
* Height & Accessibility of hides: Should be no more than approximately six (6) feet high. The odour will be accessible to the dog, but the source may not be. For example, the hide may be located in a file cabinet drawer.
A note about height: The height parameter is a general guideline provided for training purposes. No trial location will ever be the same. If a kitchen counter were 3 inches taller than the specified guideline, it would still be used for a hide location.